The Causes of Fire Damage
While some causes of fire are general and can occur anywhere, other causes are more specific for certain rooms. If you’re not careful about how you handle fire, you could easily end up causing severe damage unintentionally, or tragically even the loss of life. In order to help prevent that, we would like to share with you some of the most common causes of fires.
Don’t underestimate the fire risk from electricity just because there is no flame involved. The over warming of hot plugs and sockets and blown fuses may start a fire.
Most cigarettes related fires start because the cigarette is not put out completely. Additional common causes include falling asleep with a cigarette and using improper ashtrays.
Even a tiny candle flame can have upsetting consequences. Many candle related fires start due to negligence that leads to an unattended flame near burnable items catching them on fire, or tilting candles that are not placed in suitable holders falling over.
Room by Room Causes of Fire
The kitchen contains many hazards that can cause fires. The common combination of open fire, grease, electricity, and water is very dangerous. Grease fire is a common cause for fires in the kitchen and is usually caused by fry pans. This type is dangerous as it can set the whole kitchen on fire. Additional fires are dry cooking fires and oven fires. These types are easy to control and they are not likely to cause damage. Kitchen appliances may also cause fire if not maintained well.
Bedroom fires are usually caused by misuse of electrical devices. Electrical fires can start due to overloading extension cords and the use of electric blankets and warmers with no lab-approval. Heaters are a concern during winter if they are recklessly placed near linen, clothes, and other flammable items
Attics, Basements and the Garage
Popular as storage areas these places usually contain fire hazards such as gasoline and other flammable liquids. Old clothes, papers and other combustible items are also hazardous and should be stored safely. Many of the electrical fire hazards are also located in these areas. Worn cords, electrical boxes and other signs of electrical trouble should be treated immediately. Heating devices and fireplaces are planned to generate heat and may be hazardous if not maintained well. Operating the fireplace without a screen will allow sparks to fly into the room and cause fire. Other causes of fire are combustible items such as wallpaper, curtains, and clothing that are left without maintaining adequate clearance around the heater.
The author is an editorial staff member of RestorationSOS™, a leading restoration services provider for water and fire damages.
To learn more about water and fire damage restoration, visit
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Kimberly_Duncan